Thursday, May 15, 2008

To the Panda Sanctuary

The increasing anxiety for travel to Lasha was overwhelming. To answer the persistent urge, and after packing bare necessities, I left the gracious haven of Cheshire and Stanley’s home to check into Sim’s Cosy Garden Guest House.


Sim’s Cozy Garden is a five-star guest house! For the adventurous traveler it’s better than home away from home… Sim’s International Garden is a meeting place for travelers where language and nationality have no borders. Trivial talk, or travel tips are freely exchanged in the bar-cafe, on the roof gardens, in the internet room, or laundry area…
At the reception, English-speaking staff provide all manners of assistance… anytime! On a sleepless night or rainy day one can choose from an international selection of DVDs, (TV and DVD player in every room.) Rent-free!


For my part, confusing and conflicting reports as to the necessity of a TTB (Tibet Tourist Bureau) permit were unraveled by Sim’s expert travel agents:
YES I needed one… NO it was not free… The TTB permit, limited to Lhasa travel, would cost half the 660 yuan quoted by some other agencies… NO... for reasons beyond my comprehension though explained in proper English, the permit would not remain in my possession… YES, Other TTB permits could be obtained in Lhasa . Ask local travel agencies…

This permit would suffice to get me a boarding pass and pass through airport security… Most important, the mystifying TTB permit would be issued in time for an available flight in two days time…

NO... railway bookings not available for next two weeks or more. YES... fly to Lhasa, return by railway… When? Anytime… No problem…
I understood… I booked the flight which included a ride with a driver capable of taking care of all airport procedures… Treated like a VIP, I would be on my way to Lhasa with enough time for a visit to the Panda Sanctuary

No comments: