Monday, May 12, 2008

The Great Buddha of LeShan

It was speedy traveling with Stanley. He knew precisely when and where to catch a variety of busses, the exact ticket price for our destination and would negotiate a ride on a rickshaw with barely a nod… So before I could say abracadabra, we arrived in LeShan.
Because my initial plan only involved Allen, the Sichuan University and the Bookworm I was not prepared for the sightseeing I had embarked upon. Yet, had I been more informed, the magnificent Buddha carved into the red sandstone face of a cliff, would not have been a less astonishing sight.

A Great Buddha sitting for centuries guarding the confluence of two rivers below was the staggering concept of Haitong, a monk who lived during early 8 century AD.
The Buddha is 71-m. high, each ear drops 7-m. Nose measures 5.6-m. Shoulders span 28-m. He is restored every 10 years to prevent damage from plant invasion and pollution.
To get a close view of his 8-m. feet and famous toes we descended a twisting, steep and narrow staircase, anticipating the descent would prove much easier that the inevitable ascent to the exit…

During construction the sculptor-monk lived in a cave behind the Buddha’s head. Funds for the work were raised trough public donations and regional government contributions, generated by salt mining revenues.
Haitong gouged out his own eyes when a local official threatened to blind him if prevented from taking a cut of the funds. The Great Buddha was completed in 1803, some time after Haitong’s death

1 comment:

Brian Campbell said...

Hi Della,

I was delighted to see this blog -- and your entry & photos about the launch of Grendel's Pond. I'm glad to see Allen's alive and well. Were you anywhere in the vicinity of the earthquake yourself? Tomorrow, I'll look more closely at the blog to see if I can answer that question for myself.

Cheers,

"Montreal Bryan"