Saturday, August 11, 2007

Food Poison

I was ready to resume posting a couple of weeks ago but I woke up suddenly in cold sweat, fainted on my to the bathroom, hit my cheek-bone on the tile floor, injured my upper lip and bruised my knee. When I regained consciousness I had to crawl on my hands and knees because I couldn't stand up.

The only other time I injured myself was when I got unintentionally drunk on OOZO… I was sitting on the sofa and when I stood up the wall on the opposite side of the room came at me and struck me with a vengeance… Lucky it was not the stone-faced fireplace! The bruise on my forehead prompted my friend Sam to confess the reason he never showed up for Sunday breakfast a few years before was that he woke up pushing against a wall he couldn’t get away from, and not until he heard the policeman’s voice did he realize that it was not the wall but the sidewalk floor he was flat upon… He recalled having a couple of drinks with his pals after an afternoon shooting pool…

I have recovered well. It was only a case of food poisoning… hit my guts like a ton of bricks, I am glad it wasn’t arsenic… Though for my part and when it’s all over, I find the more painful the experience the greater the impact on my memory, and so I will avoid tasting even the smallest bite from a suspicious jar… but pain of the heart such as Sidney Adrian’s is not easily healed by flushing it down the toilet.

No comments: