Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Voyage to China

I had a yearn to visit my friend Allen who is teaching English at the Sichuan University in Chengdu, though it is not certain I ever seriously considered a trip to China until the 2nd or 3rd day of February when I entered one of the many FLIGHT CENTRE travel agencies that landmark Brisbane’s shopping areas. Carl, was a good looking, very pleasant travel agent and I was willing to be lured and seduced, so one hour later Thai Airways Intl. would fly me via Bangkok to Chengdu on March 1st , with a two day stopover in Bangkok 30 days later… I was ready…

Bangkok Airport was busy, and as I had not traveled Asia for many years I curiously perceived the hum of different cultures that filled the airport spaces…
A four hour layover between flights permitted the purchase of 2 – I liter Duty Free Chivas Regal which miraculously reached Chengdu. Miraculously, because no liquids over 100 ml, are apparently permitted on any flight… (I had forgotten that in Brisbane, after being pronounced dangerous, my 750ml bottled water was delegated to the rubbish bin…) In Brisbane I was also frisked and checked for explosives… No problem for me, airport security does its job and I am grateful for their attempt to keep us safe…

No comments: