Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bangkok Airport

The Airport was very busy indeed, but past hordes of travelers, duty free shops and Bangkok security, the concourse leading to the Boarding Gates, was the calm after the storm.

Did I look lonely? Did I look unusual? Was it my hidden charm, my inner light, or merely the view of a little old lady traveling alone that attracted the attention of a group of young men waiting like me for the Boarding Gate to open? A number of the young men suddenly sat on the floor and begin to play cards; others stood by, observing the game,

A handsome dark-skinned man sat beside me, 24 – 26 years old, he looked at me with penetrating velvet-chocolate eyes, he unzipped the small plastic bag containing personal carry-on items, reached in to pull out a small white tube, opened it and daubed a bright red substance to his lower lip. Not the heavy lipstick a woman or an actor would wear, but a creamy transparent balm that generates a red–rose glow…

Said he was on his way to his native home, Bangladesh, to visit his parents after completing his studies in Australia. “I drove taxi on weekends. Weekend night-shifts can be dangerous, but I earned excellent wages.” He spoke with an accent and to formulate words in English it was evident he had to use muscles, lips and tongue in a way uncharacteristic of his native language.

“Explain dangerous…” I enquired. “Sometimes clients are aggressive,” he replied, “Often when coming out of pubs, clubs or discos they may be drunk, or have no money to pay… in that case I let them go. I take no risks… Sometimes I have offers for sex. Many offers come from gay men, but I tell them I vowed to be faithful to my girlfriend. I have had offers from women too… older women…”

I believe him; he exudes a flowery scent and an intriguing exotic appeal…

No comments: