Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Death is not my Enemy

We die even at Christmas time, Death takes no holyday, knows no borders, has no nationality, no gender. It has no God with whom it can make distinctions based on religion. No one is omitted in the face of favoritism.

Death takes its due among kings or paupers, rich or poor, priest or layman, child or old man, nor saints or sinners are exempt.

Yeah, Death constantly collects without exception, dispassionately. Not only human beings, but birds, fish, ants, spiders, lions or toads, shrubs, flowers, even in the forest takes its toll. Ice melts, seas dry up, mountains become sand. All equal. All must die.

Perhaps it matters when, how or where. We know WHERE is everywhere: in a hospital, on the battlefield, in the home, in a car or crashing airplane, in a fire, hurricane or earthquake.

For the most part, in keeping with traditional attitudes human beings regard Death as Enemy, therefore WHEN and HOW must be denied and remain in mystery.

I don’t believe in man-made Gods, I don’t believe what priests and politicians say. Though I believe life can be prolonged for some or something, I know from Death I shall not escape. Nor would I want to.

Death is not my enemy; Death is the mother in whose womb I will be transported to new dimensions. Death is the renewal, the liberator, the constant friend, the companion who will not abandon me when this aging mortal flesh no longer can sustain my youthful, spirited eternal self.


No comments: