Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Dash of Angostura

If we were to ask: How do you like your Scotch? We would get a variety of answers, such as: straight up, neat, on the rocks, with soda, even double with a pretty lass... I prefer mine with water and a dash of Angostura. But if I were asked: How do you like your poetry? I would have to admit my ignorance and look up the meaning of poetry in the Encyclopedia Britannica. Which I did!

The results were: Concrete poetry, Georgian poetry, Gnomic poetry, Heroic poetry, Pattern poetry, as well as Skaldic, Topographical, Jazz (my favorite), Pure, Physical, even a "Fleshy School of Poetry" associated with Dante Gabriele Rossetti, and so named by Scottish writer R.W. Buchanan.

And I thought poetry was made of: Images, Discourse, Fixed or Free Rhythm, Stressed/Unstressed syllables etc; of metrical distinction, is Pulitzer Prize winner W. D. Snodgrass's example of the first two lines of his poem "April Inventory":

The green catalpa tree has turned
All white; the cherry blooms once more.
In one whole year I haven't learned
A blessed thing they pay you for.

Ok, I got through my lesson of: line breaks, enjambments, end stops, figures of speech, similes and metaphors, I understood that the "word music" of "direct rhyme" should not be forced, the rhyming word needs not be there because it rhymes, but because it is the best for the poem's sense as well as sound, as in the example of the above four lines of W.D. Snodgrass's "April Inventory".
The subtle echo of sounds, created by the "Indirect rhyme" is also known as half rhyme or slant rhyme. "Formal structure" poetry includes sonnets, sestinas, and villanelles...

But, admitting total lack of literary discipline, in the informal delivery of my conclusion I will make a note that as I like my Scotch with water and a dash of Angostura, so I like (mine or yours) poetry, straight from the head or heart with a dash of passion.

1 comment:

Brian Campbell said...

I enjoyed this post.